Thursday, May 14, 2009

The First Day Of My Life




Jackson Wayne Bennett
20 April 2009
8:57am
6lbs 10oz (3 kg)
20in (51 cm)

It's been a while...who knew having a newborn around would make it difficult to do everyday activities! Luckily, Jill gave us her Baby Bjorn and it has become invaluable to use around the house to have hands free. Jackson is now 3.5 weeks old. Lots has happened and I have lots of pictures and I will try to catch this blog up with both stories and pictures in due course. For now, I would like to post his birth story in as much detail as I can remember before the event slowly slips from my mind (and you thought only pregnancy had a memory lapse!)...

For medical reasons that I shall not publicly disclose, David and I along with our doctor scheduled a cesarean to take place on the 21 April (a Tuesday). We used the weekend to finish up last minute things around the house (mow the lawn and cut David's hair...apparently all men due this before impending births...at least my Dad did before I was born. Is it a man thing?) and to do some stuff together that we thought me mightn't be able to do once the baby came along. We also had a pretty lengthy list ready for Monday. Our little boy, on the other hand, had other plans.

Early Monday morning around 4:30am I woke up to horrible pain in my bladder. I thought I was coming down with a Urinary Tract Infection (damn things) and laid in bed to wait it out. For half an hour I contended with waves of pain and finally woke David up by my tossing and turning. He rubbed my back and I tried every position to get comfortable, but it just wouldn't go away. When I sat up I noticed a trickle (and remember the popping sound that happened in the wee hours of the night). Being a fastidious nerd, I ran to get the pH paper that we had bought to check for leaking amniotic fluid. Upon testing my "trickle" we discovered that it was blue instead of the typical pink associated with urine and acidic fluids. My waters had broke! David started running around getting the car ready and things together, and I called the Delivery Suite at the hospital. They told me to come in, and at 5:30am we got in the car to make the trip to the hospital. My waters were a little more than leaking at this stage and every time I had a contraction it leaked a little worse. Being it was so hard to contain I resigned myself to the fact that I would just have to look like I peed myself. Not my most glamorous moment! Luckily when we arrived at the John Hunter hospital, being as early as it was, we got a park up front. We went straight to the Delivery Suite and the late shift midwife (Anita) took me to a room. I changed into a hospital gown and went to do the whole pee in a cup thing. Destiny chose this moment for my waters to come gushing out. I got into the bed and they hooked me up to monitor my contractions and the baby's heartbeat. I also got my IV. Anita was kind enough to give me a local anesthetic before she inserted the cannula.

My contractions were coming every 2 minutes and lasting about 30 seconds. They were very painful and every time I had one I'd leak more amniotic fluid. I wasn't aware that contractions started so low...not what I was expecting at all! In fact, I wasn't expecting to have to go through labour period! I couldn't imagine going through this for a lengthy labour! The midwives were trying to contact the doctor to see if and when the operating theatre would be available for a cesarean. Luckily, once again, because of the early hour, it was available and once the new shift came on I would be their first surgery. At 6:30am I was told that they would come get me around 8:00. They gave David his scrubs and left me to my contractions encouraging me to breathe (which I wasn't doing), be "floppy" and "climb the hill". I recommend the floppy thing to all my prego friends who are about to do this thing! In between contractions I talked to my mom who was sure I was in the transition phase (by the way, I blame the whole early labour thing on her - who insisted over the weekend that I could...and would...go early. She later claimed that something in my voice told her I was in labour...hmmm...perhaps it's a mom thing that I'll never understand unless I have a daughter myself).

Finally they came to get me. I was rolled to the preparation room outside the operating theatre. David was with me the whole time doing his supportive role very well. My new midwife (remember, there was a shift change) Rebecca, gave me a warm blanket which I greatly appreciated and we waited for the anesthesiologist. I was still having painful contractions every 2 minutes or so, but was instructed to sit on the edge of the bed bent over REALLY STILL. He gave me a local anesthetic in my back which felt like I had been stung by a wasp. Then he put the spinal block in. I couldn't feel pain per se, but I could feel the most uncomfortable tingling on the nerve. About 30 seconds later my legs started going warm and numb. It was a welcome sensation. It was then I was able to relax a little with no more contractions and no feeling from my rib cage down. They wheeled me into operating theatre and moved me onto the table while David waited outside. It was then I started to feel really nauseous. I dry heaved twice, but the anesthesiologist was on the ball and made that feeling go away quickly. They put in a catheter (which I couldn't feel) and started putting up the curtains. David came in and held my hand and talked to me. I can't remember what he said, but was glad to hear the sound of his voice. They didn't tell me they had started, but I could feel a heap of pressure. No pain at all. About 10 minutes later, I could feel they were about to pull out my baby. They pushed at the top of my belly and told David to look over the curtain. Then the glorious baby cry! It was the most beautiful cry I had ever heard. They held him up to show me before taking him to the cot to clean him and check him over. I couldn't believe how much hair he had! He was so beautiful! I was crying and telling David to go be with the baby (we still hadn't decided on a name at this point). The doctor's started stitching me up (it took about 30 minutes), but I was just focused on seeing my beautiful boy. Finally they bundled him up and brought him to me. They laid him on my chest and he looked so peaceful. I just kept stroking his cheek, looking at this beautiful boy, and crying. I felt like I knew him. His face was so human and tiny. He is an old soul.

David and I then decided his name would be Jackson Wayne. The nurses were talking to us about vaccinations and other things, but I couldn't focus on them. I was totally into my baby. Eventually they took Jackson to be weighed and measured. About this time they had finished stitching me up and were ready to wheel me to recovery. David wheeled Jackson in his cot and we went as a family to the recovery ward.

Once in the recovery room they sat me up and I had my first true cuddle with my baby boy. I immediately attempted to breastfeed and he latched on like a pro. I was able to have a glass of water (so so thirsty) and David went to get himself a latte and a sandwich. Once I was able to move my legs a bit, they wheeled me into the postnatal ward - K2. I had a share room with 4 other women, and my little curtained off area was about 4 metres x 4 metres. It was perfect and daddy, Jackson, and I spent the rest of the day getting to know each other.

So there is our birth story. I feel so grateful that Jackson decided to come early and I was able to experience the excitement of spontaneous labour as well as contractions, my water breaking and being able to safely deliver my son via cesarean. I couldn't have been more pleased with the doctors, midwives, nurses and staff at the hospital. There were no hiccups, no glitches and everyone was incredibly patient, informative and caring. I am also extremely grateful for my husband. He was (and is) a constant source of support and encouragement.

In total, I was in hospital for 4 days. I look forward to sharing more of my experiences these past 3.5 weeks. But I have a hungry baby and a hungry husband to look after.

No comments: