Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Relax

Potty Training - The Three Day Method: Day 2

I had my doubts this morning. I actually told my mom, "He's not ready. I'm putting a diaper on him." And she said "Summer....is he not ready? Or are YOU not ready?" Leave it to Mom to pose the hard questions. In all honesty, I think it is probably me that isn't ready. Or at least mostly me. I don't want my child to fail. And how can he fail if he doesn't try something? And how will he ever be a wellrounded individual if he is never allowed to fail. Toilet Training 1 - Summer 0. So we braved the day. And I am SO glad I did. Jackson didn't fail. He got better.

At Jackson's first stirrings this morning, I picked him up and sat him on the pot. We read books, but I wasn't expecting much as he had already gone in his pullup. So I put his underpants on him and was heading downstairs when...pee. Ok. So I changed his underpants. 5 minutes later. Pee. This happened 2 more times. This is when I wanted to give up but my mom wouldn't let me. It is like a damn trigger those underpants. So I got the potty, got a small table, and we worked puzzles, watched Elmo Potty Time and ate breakfast. All from the potty.

Ingenious, right? Wrong. Nothing in the potty. He stands up. I put underwear on him. And pee.

Alright. New strategy. Naked from the waist down (him not me), we head outside. I figure he has never SEEN himself pee or poop before so maybe he can get to know his body a little better in a place where I don't have to worry about him making a mess. So I put the little potty outside, show Jackson where it is (just in case), and send him on his merry way to play to his heart's content cute little hiney showing and all.


All is well until his hand gets shut in the toy box. He runs over for a hug and when I pick him up he pees on me. Except he doesn't notice. He is too upset. And it wasn't an exorbitant amount. I am thinking...maybe he pees a little when he is in distress. Maybe he peed so much yesterday because I was stressing him out with all this potty stuff. Wheels are churning in my head...

Meanwhile, hand mended, Jackson requests a snack. Cheese. I go in to get it. When I walk back out he is sitting on the potty grunting! I get so excited! GOOD JOB JACKSON! *Snap a picture* (Gross, Mom)

But I think I scared the poop back in because Jackson gets up and runs away with no pee or poop being left behind.

After 2 hours and 1 small success in the potty outside and no accidents, we come inside and go upstairs (the cleaning people are here). All I can think about is that Jackson still has yet to poop. So I am watching him with my eagle eyes. We sit on the potty. Nothing happens. He runs around naked (loving every minute). And then we have a picnic lunch on the floor. Then he runs to a corner and I can tell he is getting ready to poop. Instead of saying "go potty" in my calm voice, I scream "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" and whisk him off to the potty. I've scared the poop back in again and Jackson defiantly gets up, screams, runs over to my bed, and pees next to it. Jackson happily helps me clean up the mess; we sit on the potty, read a couple of books, and don the pullup for naptime.

Intermission. Must regroup. Must redeem myself for the epic fail on which I ended the first Act. Toilet Training 2 - Summer 0. I decide that I am too uptight and worried about this. He knows where the potty is, what he is supposed to do...heck, he would've done it this morning had I not interrupted him. I am just going to show him where the potty is and leave him to his own devices. If he pees or poops, I'll say "go potty" and he can help clean it up. But I am over worrying about it. I'll put towels down over the floor when we come inside and hopefully he'll feel more comfortable. Most of all I NEED TO RELAX! He is picking up on my stress.

Naptime stats:
1 success
5 accidents
not keeping track of tries since we are naked and I am not using a timer

Fast forward. Naptime is over. I pick him up out of bed (pull up is dry...he stays dry for the most part during every nap), put him on the potty, and we read books for about 5-7 minutes. Nothing in the potty. We head outside for a snack and juice. As soon as he gets out there he starts to pee. He looks down, says "ought oh" and runs and sits on his potty and finishes his pee in there! I am jumping up and down! Success! (Well partial). I give him a skittle - his 2nd today. We play outside for a while and he has one more small success.

Then we head inside. By this time, he had had two big cups of water and hardly peed at all. I knew it was going to come out eventually. Within an hour, he had a small success on the potty followed by a big mess on the floor followed by a big success in the potty (all of it in the potty and a lot of it) followed by a big mess on the floor followed by another big success in the potty. I was so proud of his first big success that I gave him one of his bigger rewards - a matchbox car. Jackson was so happy! I was so happy! Toilet Training 2 - Summer 1.

We make it through dinner and the last hour of the evening without any accidents. I put him in the bath, put a pull up on him and let him play while I was putting Samuel to bed. I fully expected him to pee in his pullup during this time, but when we went to sit on the potty before bed I found he was still dry. Still no poop though...maybe a poo-poo success tomorrow?

Today's Stats:
6 successes
9 accidents


What I learned today: RELAX. (Toilet training is still winning, but the game isn't over.)
And I am very proud of Jackson. I would say it was 50% better today. I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

1 comment:

Go Long! Go Green! said...

isn't that elmo goes potty dvd amazing??? hahaha!! sophia loves it although i have to say some of the songs are a bit creepy!! :) hehe!