Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Work Hard, Play Harder

I am halfway through my first week in my new position at the EPO, and am really loving it! The first-day-learning-curve-overwhelming feeling is disappearing, and I am feeling every day more like I am working the job instead of the job working me.

The flexibility is nice as well as the family friendly atmosphere. I pretty much get to make my own schedule. Being a structured person who likes routine, I opted to set my schedule as such: in office Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday; take Thursday off; use Friday as an "in field" day (ie work from home, visit schools, go out on location...). Of course as the work load fluctuates, so will my schedule. AND I get 10 weeks off a year. Sweet.

Samuel is hanging out with me in the office until he starts daycare in September. My office is large...good thing as it now houses a Pack N Play, playmat, Bumbo, a box of toys, and accommodates the diaper bag and stroller I drag in with me every day. Not to mention the 50 or so small instruments that live in office to be used for the Petting Zoos.

The staff are super nice and like seeing Samuel in the office. Most of them have kids themselves.

AND I get to be around some great music and musicians. All the time. I am so happy things have worked out the way they have.


It has taken a bit of time to get used to the new routine at home. Once I leave work and get Jackson from daycare, I change clothes and spend the next 45 minutes or so just playing with the boys. Then I fix dinner. Then bath. Then some sort of quiet activity. Then Samuel goes to bed. After Samuel goes to bed, Jackson and I snuggle and watch an episode of his-choice on Netflix. Lately he has been picking IronMan. Then Jackson goes to bed, and I stay up for another hour or so getting things done before I head to bed myself. Rinse and repeat.

It is nice to have Thursdays off. I keep the boys home with me and the plan is to do some kind of fun activity together. Today we went to Craft Time at the library, had lunch at the park, and fed the ducks.

Here is a little tour of my office:









At midday, Samuel and I will either go meet my sister (who works right across the street) for lunch, or we will walk to Central Library. Samuel likes to chill in his stroller (I love the way he crosses his feet - Jackson does that, too).



This was the cutest appointment I had all week.


See ya at the Symphony!

No comments: