Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Angel

Kind of a sad post today. Two days ago, one of my childhood friends lost her second child. After three months of treatment in the NICU in Cincinnati, they were told their little girl would not make it - that her lung wasn't growing with the rest of her body - and they would face something no parent should have to face. I am absolutely heartbroken for them. I can't imagine burying one baby much less two. Her strength inspires me. Her story saddens me. And I have been hugging my two little boys much tighter ever since.


I came across a saying the other day that has had a profound impact on my thinking.

"Age is not a curse; it's a privilege".

Not many sayings have had such a deep impact on my life. But perhaps this one came along at just the right time. I have aged another year; my grandmother scared us all a couple of weeks ago when her health declined quickly (though she has since recovered surprising all of us including the doctors and herself); and my friend lost her little baby girl.

I feel I now have a stronger appreciation for life, people, and time. I love my boys so much. And I know they love me back. And I know they love each other, too. I am proud of and happy for their relationship and hope it holds them in good stead throughout their life. There is nothing quite the same as a sibling on whom you can lean and who can relate to you on a level no one else can.



Samuel laughs at Jackson most of the time...when he's not crying because Jackson took his toy, knocked him over, or hugged him too tightly. And Jackson adores his baby brother...sometimes too much. Jackson and I have a deal. Jackson likes to lay on Samuel. So he is allowed to lay on Samuel when Samuel learns how to walk. I figure by then Samuel will be the same size as Jackson and they can just have at it.

But for now, Jackson can help Samuel eat puffs.



And show him comfort and encouragement.


Because I'm sure that is what Maddy is doing with Ellie right now in whatever lies beyond death. There's one more star in the sky; one more angel in the heavens.



Peace, love and my deepest sympathy to the Hendricks family.

No comments: