Monday, February 14, 2011

Love Is In The Air

Happy Valentine's Day!

Yes, I realize that this is a holiday to mainly boost the sales of florists and jewelers, but I don't care. I'm a sucker for romance. I buy hook, line and sinker into the whole thing. I feel the magic in the air. Valentine's Day, to me, is the one holiday where people put aside their differences and celebrate love! What about Christmas, you ask... well, put religion into the mix...that's how wars are stared. How many wars are fought over religious beliefs? How many people in this world actually believe in Jesus? You don't have to believe in Jesus to believe in LOVE! Valentine's Day (despite it being originally a Catholic holiday, but removed from the Roman Calendar in 1969) is a day for every one. It is literally celebrated all over the world. Traditionally in most cultures, it is a day not only for romantic lovers, but a day to remember your friends.

So, on this day of love, I would like to share with you 20 things I love.


1. I love this man, my husband, my best friend, the father of my children. I love him for many reasons... he is incredibly funny. He is incredibly smart - I always tell him if I was ever on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire he'd be my phone-a-friend. He is opinionated - granted so am I and our opinions don't always match, but what fun would it be if we always agreed? He is strong - physically as well as emotionally. In our current situation, he is over on the other side of the world without me, without our children. I miss him a lot, but no matter how bad it may seem for me, it is worse for him. If the situation were reversed and I were without him AND the boys, I would die. Simply wither away and die. I wouldn't be able to do it. But he does. Without complaint. And I know he misses us ALL terribly. Yes, I love this man.

2. I love Jackson Wayne Bennett. My eldest son. The little boy who made me a mommy; who gave me the greatest gift of all - motherhood. I love his sweetness. I love his honesty. I love the wonderment through which he sees all things. He is my little sweet pea.
3. I love Samuel Wrye Bennett. My youngest son. The sweet little bundle who made me a mommy, again! I love his gummy smiles and his willingness to go along with whatever. I love seeing his personality develop every day. He is my little Sammy-Bug.

4. I love my Dad. He was my very first Valentine. He, to this day, would give the shirt off his back to make sure I was looked after. He is the most kind, generous and respectable man I know.

5. I love the rest of my family, too...my Mom, my sister, my gorgeous nephew Myles, my aunt Mio, my Grandmother...the list goes on and on. I am so fortunate to have such a wonderful family.

6. I love the Wrye Family Weight Loss Challenge girls. You gals are so inspiring and encouraging. I never thought I'd actually look forward to weighing myself once a week. Thanks for helping me do this!

7. I love my All Night Nursing Moms Group. It is amazing to know that 34 (yes, 34) of my friends either just had babies or will have babies in the near future. I am grateful to be able to share in your successes and trials, and to feel that support that every new (and new again) moms need. You women are amazing!

8. I love my jobs. All four of them. I am grateful that my jobs allow me the luxury to bring Samuel along with me. I love that my office is a Steinway.

9. I love my Church Choir! Wow, are you all fantastic! I have never heard a men's section in a volunteer church choir like the one we have. And such kind hearted people, too! You are like family to me and I appreciate you!

10. I love my friends near and far. Jill, Katherine, Meg, Kristi...you girls have stuck with me through thick and thin. I couldn't be luckier.

11. I love that I am able to breastfeed my babies. Well, not Jackson anymore, but he went for 16 months before weening. I feel great knowing that I am able to give them the best thing for them.

12. I love cloth diapers! Seriously. I didn't think I would, but they are great. So cute and don't irritate Samuel's bottom. Plus, I am saving so much money by doing it.

13. I love my freedom to decide. I love that I am able to chose what I wear, what I believe, to whom I pray, what to eat, where to travel, where to live, where to work, and what I say without fear of reprimand.

14. I love the changing of the seasons. I love experiencing four distinct times of the year. And I love that Spring is upon us.

15. I love music. All kinds of music... and people who make the music.

16. I love helping students figure out how their voice works. This is different than teaching voice. This is discovering a voice.

17. I love the beauty of this world. I can't wait to see more of it.

18. I love to hear birth stories. I think the woman's body is an amazing thing to be able to grow and birth another human being. I cry at the experience.

19. I love teachers. I am grateful to mine of the past and present for the gifts they have given me.

20. I love books. I love to read. Love love love. If I could, I'd stay in bed all day reading. Thank you to the wonderful writers of the world.



So enjoy this day with the ones you love, doing things you love, and appreciating all the love that is...in the air.

1 comment:

Sarah Gutierrez said...

I think it's possible the I knew you had a blog a long time ago but I must have forgotten.

I've been looking back, hope you don't mind. :)

I loved this list. I agree with #18 too. (feel free to read my birth stories on my blog if you'd like)

Cheers!