Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Neverending Story

Will it ever end?

Just when Jackson wakes up feeling better (by feeling better I mean only throwing up once, eating three bananas and some animal crackers, not taking any extra naps, and having a solid poop...never thought I'd be so excited about a solid poop)...


...Samuel wakes up sick. A couple bouts of diarrhea, a fever ranging from 100.5 - 101.4, not wanting to nurse...



This was my breaking point. I broke down in tears. I felt defeated. I felt worried and scared for my babies. I wondered how I was going to take care of TWO sick little ones at the same time. AND I had to go to church (I have a church job). I had to leave my two sick babies at home with my mother and sister. When I got to church, my alto section forgot to show up. I wasn't expecting that. I had no back up plan. Luckily, we were able to recruit someone to sing a solo instead. Again, I felt like a complete failure. And I was in tears. When I got home, Jackson threw up on me. And I was in tears. Then it was naptime. I wanted to sleep, but Samuel didn't want me to sleep. So I watched the basketball games. VCU defeated Kansas. I felt a little better. Then Kentucky took out North Carolina. I felt a lot better (unless UConn wins the entire thing, I am the winner of our pool). Then Jackson woke up and he felt better. And I felt better. Samuel never did feel better, but at the appearance of the aforementioned solid poop I felt like I had a grasp back on my life and could handle this.

I am so grateful to my mom, sister and Noel for their help over the past five days. I absolutely could not have done it without them. My mom got covered in vomit on more than one occasion. Holly comforted and entertained one child while I fed/cleaned up/changed/nurtured the other (thank goodness Samuel likes Army Wives and Jackson is content with Thomas on the iPhone Netflix).



I have done more laundry, cleaned up more puke and poop, and changed more sheets than I care to ever do again. I have learned to know when vomit is coming a good 5 seconds before it arrives, and can catch it in a towel with 95% accuracy. If you ask me, this is the rotavirus rearing it's ugly head. And it's ugly.

Now let's get Samuel well and get on with our lives!

No comments: